27 October 2007

Today's Secret Word Is "Philosophy"



Okay, let's go through these, because, if you're like me, your first reaction on most of these "celebrities" was "Who?"....

Gottlob Frege - German mathematician, logician, and philosopher. If you say so....

Jason Lee - Actor/skateboarder. Yeah, he and I look so much alike. Hah! Oh, he's also a Scientologist, so philosophy is probably beyond his capability.

Rabindranath Tagore - Indian poet/philosopher/author/artist. Nobel laureate (1913 Literature). OK....

Ernst Mach - Bohemian-Austrian physicist and (of course) philosopher. Him, I have heard of, mainly due to the fact that the unit for the speed of sound is named in his honor.

Otto Wagner - Austrian architect. From his Wikipedia page: "In 1897, Otto Wagner, Gustav Klimt, Joseph Maria Olbrich, Josef Hoffmann and Koloman Moser founded the "Vienna Secession" artistic group. From the ideas of this group he developed a style that included quasi-symbolic references to the new forms of modernity." Sounds very philosophical to me. Never heard of him.

Ferdinand de Lesseps - Wasn't he Voila's father in Shakespeare in Love? Oh - no, he was the dude who built the Suez Canal. I'm sure there was lots of searching for knowledge and truth (you guessed it - philosophy) in the desert. I vaguely remember learning his name in History class.

Andrew Carnegie - Well known robber-baron/phil...anthropist. Apparently, his search for knowledge and truth led him to give his money away.

Terry Pratchett - Popular SF/Fantasy writer whose works I have yet to read, but I have heard of him. Bet the books are full of philosophical allegory.


Damn. I should go back to college and major in Philosophy!
FWIW, I would have thought I look more like Dan Haggerty (Grizzly Adams), Billy Gibbons or Dusty Hill (ZZ Top), or that dude from The Oak Ridge Boys.
(h/t to Distributorcap)

No comments: