13 July 2007

Support Net Neutrality

Today is the final day that the FCC will be accepting public comment on the proposed changes to Net Neutrality rules. If you have yet to have your say, please take a moment to do so now. Below is my letter.

Protect the Principles of Democracy

I am in the minority of poor people (my income is less than $15,000/year) who have broadband internet access. I do not have cable or satellite television and depend on the internet for news. I am a participating member of this democracy, having voted in every election (local, state, and federal) since I turned 18.

The number of credible news sources is decreasing as politics invades the newsroom. The days when we could tune in Walter Cronkite and hear an unbiased accounting of the days' news are gone. It is only by diligent searching that we can find the truth behind the spin. The internet provides the means by which we can find that information.

It is essential to free speech and equal opportunity for net neutrality to be upheld. If broadband providers are allowed to block, interfere with or discriminate against any lawful Internet traffic based on its ownership, or even political leanings, our democracy will suffer.

This proposed change would damage my ability to connect with others, share information and participate in our 21st century democracy and economy. I ask that you protect Net Neutrality and our open access to information and "the truth".

Thank you.

No comments: