07 June 2007

Nikola Tesla Redux

Over 100 years later, scientists at MIT have caught up with Nicola Tesla and developed a system of wireless electricity. I poke fun, but this is tres cool!

Money quote:
Realizing their recent theoretical prediction, they were able to light a 60W light bulb from a power source seven feet (more than two meters) away; there was no physical connection between the source and the appliance. The MIT team refers to its concept as "WiTricity" (as in wireless electricity). The work will be reported in the June 7 issue of Science Express, the advance online publication of the journal Science..


Funny quote:
"It was probably the sixth time that month that I was awakened by my cell phone beeping to let me know that I had forgotten to charge it. It occurred to me that it would be so great if the thing took care of its own charging." [Prof. Marin Soljacic, leader of the team]


This has enormous potential. I foresee coils built into the ceilings of homes and offices, powered by solar panels and other renewable sources - or even receiver coils that capture wireless electricity transmitted from distant generation centers, that in turn power lights and computers and all manner of things!

No more power lines cluttering up the scenery!!!!

.

No comments: