25 August 2009

Wherein I Don't Talk About Jen's Buns

There are a lot of things about living in Costa Rica that are different from living in the States -- or, at least, the part of the States from whence I came. The climate, the language, the entire culture.

Those are obvious differences. But there are also differences that are different without you even knowing they are different until they reach up and smack you in the (metaphorical) face.

Case in point -- remember this post? Wherein I told you of working on a new table for us? Well, I hadn't done anything more to the table since then, mainly because of Jen's dad's visit (we were using the table about every night, and so I couldn't disassemble it and have it in pieces all over the place while finishing and tweaking it).

Today though, we finished the sanding and began putting the finish on it. We picked out a "Honey" colored stain and set up shop in the garage to apply it. I don't know if you've ever stained any furniture, but it's not that complicated. Just put the stuff on as evenly as you can manage, and let it dry.

So, the stain comes in a little quart size can. Up in the States, I've always used MinWax (or other, very similar, stains), and it's very easy to work with. I've done large projects where we've used rollers and trays and the whole thing. And when you use anything for to apply stain, you've pretty much consigned that thing to the rubbish, because, well, it's stain. So, I've used those disposable plastic roller pans and li'l plastic paint buckets.

Imagine my surprise today when the li'l plastic tubs we poured the stain in (so Jen and I could both apply stain at the same time)... melted.

(click to embiggen for the full effect)


Luckily, we hadn't gone to the recycling place lately, and therefore had a ready supply of empty tuna cans.

It was going on dark when we finished, so I didn't get a photo of the table. I'll do so tomorrow, so's y'all can see it. :)

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I'm just waiting for someone to notice that both the cream cheese tub and the newspaper it's sitting on are printed in English.