24 August 2009

Be Careful What You Wish For

(or, grammatically correct, "Be Careful For What You Wish")

When Jen's dad was getting ready to come down for his recent visit, Jen and I came up with a list of things that aren't readily available or exorbitantly expensive here in Costa Rica to request that he bring.

I had discovered that corn meal is unheard of here. There's corn everything else, but not corn meal. So I asked for some, and he brought a 5# bag of it for me.

Today I tried a new recipe for hush puppies, using the corn meal. They were really good, light and not dense like you will find a lot of times, and I enjoyed them a bunch... at first. Then the oil in which they were fried asserted itself and my tum-tum got all queasy. For several hours.

Next time I'll try something different.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I vote Mexican corn bread.

Mauigirl said...

Did you have him bring you down some Tums to go with it?

Unknown said...

I love Hushpuppies!!!! Sorry bout your tummy Bob. :(