04 March 2009

Calling All Geeks

As I mentioned yesterday, I broke Windows on my computer, which kinda sucks.

The upside is, I've wanted to explore Linux for some time, and since Windows no longer works on my computer, this is the perfect opportunity. So, I've installed the OS (Kubuntu 8.10) and figured out how to do things like start Firefox, and listen to online music and vital fun stuff like that. For someone who isn't really a tech-head, I don't think I'm doing so bad.

Except for one thing.

I cannot get Adobe Flash to install. Do you realize how much flash is used on Teh InterWebs Tubes? People (including me) post videos without any description or anything. And that appears as an empty box, thusly:


Here's what I've tried:
  • Clicked on the above (well, not the picture of it, the actual occurrence). See next bullet point.
  • Clicked on the "Install Missing Plugins" at the top of the window. I'm told that Adobe Flash Player isn't available.
  • Gone to the Adobe website and downloaded the latest Linux version (each of the four possible ones) of flash and installed it. But it doesn't take. Even after restarting Firefox and, indeed, the whole computer.
  • Pouting.
  • Cursing.
  • Gnashing of teeth.

So, anybody out there got suggestions?

Added: I just tried the default browser that came on the install disc (Konqueror), and flash is working there. So, it is installed, just not working with Firefox.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/flash