09 April 2007

Random Thoughts

I was just reading through the comment thread re: Is Pat Robertson’s law school changing America? over at Crooks & Liars and a thought occurred to me. It was caused by this comment:

[...]
South Park actually got it very right when they had Donahue wanting to kill Jesus. Because if Jesus came back today, would any of these so-called Christians even recognize him? I would suspect that you'd have far more secular leftists - hell even atheists, defending Jesus on his return than you would have of these apostates. (He would be considered a fake, possibly even the anti-Christ.)
[...]
JJohnson | 04.09.07 - 8:51 am |

I (and, indeed, many others) have wondered why Christians continue to espouse faith in a God who hasn't made His presence known for the last two millennia (our Islamic brethren would question that statement, since Mohammad lived in the late Sixth and early Seventh centuries CE, and certainly believed he had received messages from God (Allah) - with such conviction that an estimated 1.4 billion adherents now follow his teachings - oh, and let's not forget the Mormons).

My thought was this: What if the messages have indeed been squelched by "Christians"? What if the 'second coming' happened hundreds of years ago, and perhaps even a third, fourth and fifth coming? This is certainly plausible, given the power-mongering attitude of the Church throughout the ages.

I have said this before, but let me restate it so that their is no misunderstanding: I do not believe that all Christians are hypocrites, just an unfortunate many.

I, myself, do not claim to be a Christian, though I do live my life in as close to a Christ-like manner as I can manage. Despite what the Fundies say, one can believe the message without worshiping the messenger or subscribing to a set of religious rules.

Anyway, as I said, it was just a thought....

No comments: