04 February 2010

That Was the Longest Week EVER

I started working at Centro Multicultural back around the beginning of July of last year -- don't remember perzakly when. They told me when they hired me that they had just started using a new textbook and that the teacher's books (with answers, tests, and "for further exploration" exercises) would be in "next week". Every couple of weeks, the "next week" would be reiterated.

Now, in fairness to the people for whom I work, this is Costa Rica and things happen ... when they happen. Especially when international shipping is concerned. I saw first hand last week, on the way to and from Nicaragua, how the trucks are backed up at (and approaching) the border. We saw trailer rigs with hammocks strung underneath -- the driver asleep in the shade -- showing that the drivers know they aren't going anywhere soon.

Also, there was that coup in Honduras a while back, which blocked up trucking for a while.

A couple of weeks ago, I was told that the books were in country, at the "customs house", and that we should have them -- you guessed it, "next week".

Well, I got to the institute this evening for my Thursday class, and Daniel, the owner's husband, looked at me with a gleam in his eye and said, "I have something for you."

After six months of teaching the books, I now have the teacher's book. And I must say, I'm not disappointed. They're really good books, and my students are doing well (and that was afore I had the T's book).

Yay!!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

LOL - Dad's going to go, "Uh oh" and then "Phew" when he reads your title and first paragraph, respectively.

Dad said...

YUP!!

:)

The Cunning Runt said...

I bet that will make your life a bit easier, eh?

A clear case, as I see it, of "Better late than never!"