16 March 2007

Riding Into the Future



It seems like one of the most popular things to do on a blog is to post pictures, so here's my first (see: The Good Old Days at the bottom of the page). This is a photo taken ca. 1927 of my Dad and two of his sisters. He emailed it to me yesterday.


I often think about how amazing this whole 'internets' thing must be to my parents. They are both in their mid 80's and, as you may guess from the pic, the world has changed greatly since they were born. Woodrow Wilson (to whom 'the Decider' has compared himself) was President when they were born, the US had only recently grown to 48 states and the country was still recovering from the Great War (later known as World War I) and the Spanish Influenza epidemic. The only mass media options they had were newspapers and crystal radios. My Mother lived in a house without indoor plumbing.


Now my Dad is emailing me digitized pictures from his childhood. So he's gone from a homemade crystal radio to transistors to microchips. Pretty cool, huh?

No comments: