The first step was to go to the neighborhood lumber yard and get some planking for the top. I wanted to go as wide as possible (and here in CR it's easier to get really wide boards), but I ended up getting 1"x10"s, as they were the most reasonably priced. I also went with pine, although I did think about using the laurel (accent on second syllable, please) like I used for the folding tables last time.
I already had some 2"x3"s, that Jen's former boss gave me (along with some other lumber) when they closed down shop, so I decided to use them for the under-top frame and legs.
|Top planks 'joined' using cleats and screws, and under-top frame assembled and temporarily in place.|
|Legs and low back brace added, pondering computer shelf placement.|
|Same thing, viewed from the other end (note the 'park' bench I made in the background).|
|The top with a nice coat of poly on it.|
|Close shot of the wet-polyed top, showing the dowel peg anchors.|
Pictures to follow!